Core Strengths to Win
In addition to clear where-to-play strategies, we have chosen to focus on five core strengths that are required to win in the consumer products industry: consumer understanding, brand-building, innovation, go-to-market capability, and scale. P&G is designed to lead in each of these areas.
- No company in the world has invested more in consumer and market research than P&G. We interact with more than five million consumers each year in nearly 60 countries around the world. We conduct over 15,000 research studies every year. We invest more than $350 million a year in consumer understanding. This results in insights that tell us where the innovation opportunities are and how to serve and communicate with consumers.
- P&G is the innovation leader in our industry. Virtually all the organic sales growth we’ve delivered in the past nine years has come from new brands and new or improved product innovation. We continually strengthen our innovation capability and pipeline by investing two times more, on average, than our major competitors. In addition, we multiply our internal innovation capability with a global network of innovation partners outside P&G. More than half of all product innovation coming from P&G today includes at least one major component from an external partner. The IRI New Product Pacesetter Report ranks the best-selling new products in our industry in the U.S. every year. Over the past 14 years, P&G has had 114 top 25 Pacesetters — more than our six largest competitors combined. In the last year alone, P&G had five of the top 10 new product launches in the U.S. and 10 of the top 25.
- P&G is the brand-building leader of our industry. We’ve built the strongest portfolio of brands in the industry with 23 billion-dollar brands and 20 half-billion-dollar brands. These 43 brands account for 85% of sales and more than 90% of profit. Twelve of the billion-dollar brands are the #1 global market share leaders of their categories. The majority of the balance are #2. As a group, P&G’s billion-dollar brands have grown sales at an average rate of 11% per year for the entire decade.
- We’ve established industry-leading go-to-market capabilities. P&G is consistently ranked by leading retailers in industry surveys as a preferred supplier and as the industry leader in a wide range of capabilities including clearest company strategy, brands most important to retailers, strong business fundamentals and innovative marketing programs.
- Over the decades, we have also established significant scale advantages as a total company and in individual categories, countries and retail channels. P&G’s scale advantage is driven as much by knowledge sharing, common systems and processes, and best practices as it is by size and scope. These scale benefits enable us to deliver consistently superior consumer and shareholder value.